This Small Unit Night Fighter Handbook, combines existing doctrine with night–fighting tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTP) currently used by light infantry squads and platoons.
The dismounted battle drills found in ARTEP 7–8, MTP DRILL, form the basis for these TTP.
The drills in Chapter 2 incorporate existing technology with current doctrine to overcome limiting factors experienced by soldiers and leaders at night. The result is a modified mission training plan for squad and platoon battle drills that enhance the unit's ability to fight at night as well as deny the enemy his night capabilities or advantages.
These drills form the basis for a unit training plan. The techniques that are incorporated into the drills must be modified as the situation dictates, and may vary with individual unit SOPs. The leader's METT–T analysis (referred to throughout this document as MTETT (mission, terrain, enemy, troops and time available)) must also take into consideration the enemy's night vision capabilities, and the availability of equipment referenced in these drills.
Table of contents consists of:
CHAPTER 1 NIGHT-FIGHTING AT THE SMALL UNIT LEVEL
CHAPTER 2 PLATOON AND SQUAD
- Battle Drill 1A: Conduct Squad Attack
- Battle Drill 1: Conduct Platoon Attack
- Battle Drill 2: React to Contact
- Battle Drill 3: Break Contact
- Battle Drill 4: React to Ambush
- Battle Drill 5A: Knock Out a Bunker
- Battle Drill 5: Knock Out Bunkers
- Battle Drill 6A: Enter a Building and Clear a Room
- Battle Drill 6: Enter and Clear a Building
- Battle Drill 7A: Enter/Clear a Trench
- Battle Drill 7: Enter/Clear a Trench
- Battle Drill 8: Conduct Initial Breach of a Mined Wire Obstacle
- APPENDIX A: SUMMARY OF SOPs
CHAPTER 3 CURRENT NIGHT-FIGHTING EQUIPMENT CAPABILITIES
- APPENDIX A: GROUND COMMANDER’S POINTER – INFRARED
- APPENDIX B: PHOENIX BEACON
- APPENDIX C: SQUAD AND PLATOON
- NIGHT VISION TASK ORG
- APPENDIX D: AN/PAQ–4 ZEROING TECHNIQUES